Every Filipino is happy when he or she reaches another country. One of the jobs that Filipinos get abroad is to become part of the fishing industry in Taiwan.
In this work fishing vessels cover three large oceans. Fishing is a great job but it also has a lot of challenges to offer you.
To ensure the safety and welfare of the fishermen’s work, here are the things to know for each fisherman’s right:
1. Contract Period
– If you are signing a contract you need to look into it carefully. The year, month, and date should be clearly stated here. If the date of operation of the ship exceeds that date, the contract period must also be extended until the ship’s completion.
Once the fishing contract is over and the employer still wants it to continue and the worker agrees to have a new contract signed by both sides.
2. The work to be done
– When you sign a contract it stated what your job will be and what ship will be for when you start to work. But if a fisherman does not consent or the transfer is not in accordance with the policy they cannot force them to move another ship.
– In addition to providing the employer with food on board, the salaries of fishermen should also be paid in the manner agreed upon. They can provide the full amount of wages or send the rest of the money to their families. The fisherman’s wages and their bonus receive at least USD450 per month. From the employer, you need to sign and thumb mark the paper to protect the rights of everyone.
– At least one million NT$ will be received by the fishermen that must be provided with accident, treatment and death insurance. About 32,000 USD is covered by death insurance.
5. Transportation Cost
– Whenever a contract is signed, always remember and check with the employer to whom the cost of transport from the country of origin to the ship goes.
When the contract finished, the employer will be paid the workers’ ticket back to their hometown. However, if the worker violates the law and it is terminated or prematurely terminates the contract for their reasons, the workers will be paid their ticket for return their home.
6. Break Time
– According to the policy, because their work is so unusual the rest of the fishermen should not be less than 10 hours a day. However, when a ship is needed, staff or fish are caught and the worker’s body can handle it after the employer and the captain agree that they can extend their work hours and change their rest days.
7. Labor protection
– To protect the occupational safety of fishermen the employer must make sure that they have adequate and efficient lifeboat equipment such as lifeboat, lifevest, lifesaver and more. At the beginning of the job as a fisherman the employer will provide the necessary work equipment such as boots, gloves, sweater and much more.
8. Illness and Accident
– Whenever a fisherman becomes sick or injured, their employer must take them to the hospital immediately, especially if this happened because of their work. All expenses that may occur by the workers in the hospital must be paid by their employer. In case the worker did not recover and the result is dying all the thingsthat they left behind will be returned to their family. The employer must also responsible for returning the body of the died workers to their country.
The broker will be contact the family of deceased worker and all the documents will be settle and arrange them to pay for their insurance.
But if a worker’s injuries, illness and death are not due to work and are unable to work as soon as possible, their employer may not pay them and cancel the contract early.
9. Broker Service
– Brokers are responsible for the following service requirements: documents required by a worker when working on a ship to Taiwan; accompanied the worker to the place where they work and getting them when they contract are finished; helping the workers to communicate with their employers. Broker must also explain workers’ employment and living policies; scheduling hospital medical exams, and translating a referral.
Workers need to keep in mind the Broker agency’s emergency hotline to address problems immediately. The contract also states that a worker and the broker sign the amount to be paid in the process of paperwork, medical exams, and more. The broker should not charge a fee if it is not listed on the contract.
– When the worker owes the employer or the broker or asks for help to repay the loan first, the creditor should write down the amount and method of payment. The workers should make sure that their reads the paper carefully before signing it and thumbing it. Any creditor cannot violate the agreed payment method and cannot be subject to deduct the payment from their salaries or any fine and penalties.
11. Unique needs
– If the reason is about religion or practice and there are prohibited or unusual requirements tell it immediately to the employer, captain or broker.
– Fulfill the contractual obligations and obey the law, obey the command of the boss and the captain, do not arrest and fight with the comrades, do not destroy equipment and do not leave work and above all do not interfere with the destruction of other ships. Guns, bullets and weapons are also strictly prohibited. All information provided by the worker should be correct so that the broker can easily organize their documents because when the information is incorrect and there is a problem they can accountable it to their self.
13. Breach of Contract
– If the worker wants to speed up the termination of his contract, they should immediately notify their employer or the broker. If the contract is premature to terminate or violate the liability and cause harm to the employer or the broker, unless the worker has reason to prevent it and should not answer the compensation. Likewise, when the employer or the broker terminates the worker’s contract as soon as possible and results in an injury they need to be held accountable.
– The employer and broker should provide ample time for the workers to read the contents of the contract. Once they understand their rights and responsibilities stated in the contract they can sign it, a contract with the employer in Taiwan and one for broker services. Always keep in mind that every worker should have a copy of the contract for safety, rights and good employment while away from their family.
In the event of any problems and workers’ rights violations such as misunderstandings and mistreatment at work do not extend it and report it immediately. If you are in Taiwan you can call 1955. If you are outside Taiwan + 886-2-8073-3141 you can call. You can also complain to the TECO, investigator, observer or visiting officer once the ship when you are working with has returned to its place.
The Fisheries Agency wants the fishermen to enjoy the happy lives and peacefully return home of each of their companions.